Monday, January 24, 2011

Little Miss Sunshine

This morning, the sun started filling my room, my alarm went off in its typical tingly fashion, I yawned and stretched my legs out the full length of my bed and thought "Dadgummit is it really Monday/the beginning of another semester/time to get moving and working again?"

Yep, that's about right. I woke up full-blown cranky.

Train of thought: First day of spring grad school class, ugh. One more semester, get up and get going. Oh yeah, I've got to email my thesis advisor about a meeting. I've got to start writing my thesis. Gosh, that is going to take up so much time. When am I going to find extra time? Oh yeah, I need to email my boss(es) about work this semester. And probably my professor whose PR event committee I'm serving on this semester as well, need to make time for that, too. I should also make some time to go to the gym today. I've got to start going to the gym more- that's it, I'm making time to go to the gym everyday. I need coffee, two cups, then I can do all this. Coffee... I don't want to get up.

Then I sat straight up and thought to myself "Wow, Sorry God, that was pretty embarrassing- can you complain a little more Ainsley?"

Cue Google Search Bar, typing " p o s i t i v e  a t t i t u d e s" (pssh yes, I am absolutely the type to Google inspiration). Somewhere along the three minute search while I was waiting on my coffee to brew I found this:
" A positive attitude manifests itself in: Positive thinking. Constructive thinking. Creative thinking. Expecting success. Optimism. Motivation to accomplish your goals. Being inspired. Choosing happiness. Not giving up. Looking at failure and problems as blessings in disguise. Believing in yourself and in your abilities. Displaying self-esteem and confidence. Looking for solutions. Seeing opportunities."   
 (I also wrote this down to hang on my mirror, which my friends will find typical and predictable.) 


Then, I pulled out my trusty Good Book, flipped to the back where I've taken notes on my most inspiring versus, and came up with:
 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 4:29
Things will go wrong. Things will be hard. But if I keep spending my morning wake-up time complaining, instead of thinking about all the good undeserved blessings I'm surrounded by, I'm not exactly going to be a little ray of sunshine for everyone around me.

Let's all say it together now: Pos-i-tiv-i-ty.
So now I think I'm on the mend, on the up and up, it's going to be a good day, a good week, a good semester, the whole shebang. And I hope you're thinking that way too as you start of your Monday!
Take a little listen just for added effect:

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

i love the fact that you psych yourself up with your posts. i do the exact same thing! nothing like a little forced motivation :)

Laura Merrill said...

Good stuff! Love your blog!

Jo Holmes said...

Maybe a little break every once in a while can make your mood a little better when it comes to doing some work like writing phd dissertation. And yes, it might take a lot of time, but it can’t write itself, right? Anyway, what happened to your paper? Did you already finish it?

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates