Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sunday Food for Thought

Disclaimer: random thought, but let's go with it
Have you ever thrown a handful of colored confetti in the air?
Anyone, anyone?
What about glitter?

Today, while I was reading Eat Pray Love (more on that little adventure later), I thought a lot about those actions.
Ainsley why are you contemplating throwing glitter in the air? 
Well, backtrack: If you haven't read the book, there is an interesting concept that everyone should be able to sum up their life in a descriptive word. Pick a word, any word, that you think is completely you. And just live by it. Apply it to your everyday life, interactions, relationships. Live up your word, play up your word. Now, naturally no one is going to pick a negative word such as sullen, depressed, or fight. So I think the point here is that your personal attitude can make you live your life better(Given, from time to time I like to interpret things in a unique way, but lets just roll with it.)
So, naturally, I start thinking of the girls and the words I would appoint them. (Would have been a fun party game, but I was in the car so it was a game for one.) And its funny, because based on their actions and how they care for others, it was very easy for me to christen them with my word of choice. (Layne: laugh. Ann Clark: listen. Haley: care. Mary Catherine: counsel. Mom: do. Amy: know. Rachel: sympathize. and so on...)
So what's my word? When reading, I automatically thought to myself "I hope my word is love". Well, yeah ya do Ains. You and every single other Believer on this earth. 
So, in an executive decision making type of moment, I decided we all get Love to be our word. If love is everyone's word, and we use it and apply it, doesn't life already look better? I went through a list of other things I hoped were my word, most of which I gave to my girlfriends above. It was more or less a review of the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23), which I don't think is fair to assign only one of those since they come as a package and really, those should all be our words as well. And then it came to me: I very often wish I had more occasions to throw colored confetti in the air. I can think of half a dozen or so right now, right off the top of my head. (birthdays, surprise visits, engagements, reunions, because someone got a new job, because someone got into a great school, because someone is expecting, and so on...) So maybe my word is celebrate. I'll continue contemplating that, but for now, I'm hoping for love, patience, gentleness, goodness, peace, faithfulness, joy, kindness, and self-control.

0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates