Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Dressing Dilemma

Today, I tried on the cutest dress at Cicada (one of our personal fave shopping spots on the Square).

Very classic, perfect cut and sweetheart neckline, and hello yellow for summer. Don't you want it? I did. Sadly, it was just a bit too big and they didn't have the smaller size. So, I was saved from the price tag. However, what brings me to this post isn't this fab dress (which, ps, can be found at Saks online here), but more or less the events surrounding the trying-on of the dress:

Today, I came out of the dressing room to the ohhs and aahs of my friends and the sales girl, and the dress totally did not fit. Like, it was gaping in the chest, but "it looked so cute". Now don't get me wrong, the dress did look so cute. But just not on me in that size. After the super-sweet-super-trendy sales girl suggested I wear a super padded undergarment ( side note: I was already wearing an undergarment), my friends snapped to the rescue and finally declared the dress too big. I think they could see the stars in my eyes, and needed to intercede before I swiped a card that I would later regret on my unecessary trip to the alterations lady. The incident really got my friend Strom and I laughing. She later reminded  me of this quote that summed up the situation. Ever heard of a little movie called Mean Girls?

Thought so:
"That skirt looks so cute on you!" -Regina
But then later....
"That's the ugliest effing skirt I've ever seen." -Regina 

Why do we do that? Why do we, as girls, feel the need to tell people they look cute, the dress fits, you should totally buy that when we know the answer is no? It is a totally hysterical/ridiculously tragic habit of girls everywhere.  Well, I've been thinking about it. And I've decided its because we, as girls, and especially as girl friends, care so much for each other's feelings that we would never dream of a serious negative comment towards one another- especially anything that even touches the topic of (gulp) body image. Not necessarily a bad characteristic if you ask me. But ok, maybe it needs a little cleaning up.
Am I right or am I right?
So I see four positive solutions to this little dressing room dilemma:
  1.  Tell the truth. Hello, she's your friend and she's asking your opinion. I don't know about you, but I'm grateful my girlfriends swept down into the situation and saved me before I swiped. And yours will be too.
  2. If you don't know the girl in question very well, just be quiet. Smile, and tell her the other dress was so much cuter and she totally pulled it off. You're not mean, you're honest. She'll love you for it.
  3. If you're minding your own business in the dressing room and a rando asks the dreaded question about a dress two sizes too small, be vague and smile. She'll go looking for her opinion elsewhere.
  4. Lastly, but not least, we all need to get a little confidence in the body image sector. I know, we hear it everywhere and see it in every magazine we read (and yes, I recognize my completely unattractive quality of often needing image validation myself ). But if we could look in the mirror and form an honest opinion, then our friends wouldn't have to struggle with the fitting-room-and-feelings dilemma.
Who knows, maybe our shopping will be way more productive now. Thanks Strom, for the inspiration for this post- love you mean it!

0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates