Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Glow

I don't really like surprises.
Don't get me wrong, I adore the unexpected. But here is the problem with surprises and myself: You just can't.
First, I am undeniably perceptive. I pick up on the teeniest of cues, subconscious included. Did you stutter, look down to your left, word something in a weird way? Done- I'm on to you.
And secondly, to say I'm curious is an understatement. I'll ask you ten questions in a row and if your answers don't suit me then fine, I'll find out a different way.
These two things are great for being a writer.
These two things are not great for being surprised.
Which is why I was so pleasantly surprised by the smallest of gestures this morning when I received a poem in my inbox from a sweet old friend, an old friend that knows me well enough to know that despite my style-obsessed musings, nothing quite inspires me like classic literature and art.
So here's to making your day a little prettier, with "smiles that win and tints that glow." Free of charge.



She walks in beauty, like the night
   Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that’s best of dark and bright
   Meet in her aspect and her eyes;
Thus mellowed to that tender light
   Which heaven to gaudy day denies.


One shade the more, one ray the less,
   Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
   Or softly lightens o’er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express,
   How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.


And on that cheek, and o’er that brow,
   So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
   But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
   A heart whose love is innocent.
"She Walks in Beauty", Lord Byron

1 comments:

Rachel said...

I.Love.This. I wish words could say how much I love this. Thanks for sharing, sweet girl. You're the best. Come back to Oxford soon, please! Or maybe I'll just come visit the beach :)

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates