Thursday, November 11, 2010

Just Another Reality Check

I have a free afternoon.
What? I said it. I have a free afternoon.

So, I did what do best. I poured a steaming hot cup of coffee. I turned on the James Morrison station on my Pandora. I snuggled into the feather down pillows of our living room sofa and opened the shades. Then I pulled out my Macbook and posed my fingers to write.
And I couldn't.

I found myself online shopping. I found myself tinkering with my resume. I found myself looking for job openings online (an increasing popular extracurricular activity of mine since it dawned upon me that I'll have to start the search next semester as my masters program is wrapping up). I found myself milling over all my thesis project ideas. I found myself texting.
Stop the music. Cue the reality check.

Am I really too distracted with life to be able to sit down and do something, one thing, that I love and find solace in? I know I'm not the only one, but I'm absolutely guilty. In the age of multi-tasking, it comes to us now as a second nature. Even doing things for ourselves, our own pleasure, entails normally a couple of things at the same time.  I can't remember the last time I was spending alone time doing one thing.  So, if we're always doing many things, does that mean that the one or few things we absolutely love don't get the dedication and effort they deserve? Ponder that.

I can't say I'll ever stop doing multiple things at once. I have that kind of mind, yaknowwhatimean? If I'm watching t.v. I'm probably flipping through a magazine too. If I have company, I'm probably texting a little as well. If I'm doing homework, I'm most likely reading blogs and shopping, too. Today, we can be everywhere and here all at the same time. And I, for one, really like that. But it comes with the territory, it comes with the times. And that doesn't stop me from knowing that there are a few things that deserve my undivided attention every once in a while. My full heart, soul, and attention span. In which case, I'll need to learn how to do things one thing at a time.  

0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates