Saturday, December 26, 2009

Mornings with Magazines


In the earliest of my morning hours, I relish nothing more than a cup of coffee in my extra-large-really-holds-about-two-cups coffee mug and the glossy pages of a new magazine. Snuggled down in the comfort of my fluffy crisp white comforter, there is no more joy in that moment of time than that in the pages of said magazine. When removed from the hustle and bustle of the day, this is my morning tradition. Perhaps this stems from my pre-adolescent dreams of becoming a magazine editor. Yes, before Thirteen Going on Thirty and How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, I dreamt of my own brownstone in New York City and an office with a view at Conde Nast. However, after living in the City of Lights, my dreams of becoming a New York City editor have slightly changed, but never away from dearly beloved publishing.

So, what's a girl to do in the so-called days of the death of print? She copes, and she evolves, that's what she does. I'll admit, early on I was skeptical (and perhaps smart?) enough to get an emphasis on the public relations aspect of my print journalism degree when the doomsday of print seemed to be drawing near. However, in the past two or so years, magazines have evolved and conquered. Behold such beauties as Lonny Magazine, Goop, and VIE. Online publications that, despite the hype, are thriving and giving inspiration to us publishing hopefuls. Using alternative forms of media, such as Facebook, Twitter, blogs, and email newsletters, these publications are on the rise and creating a new following from the internet age. And I, for one, am one of them. Behold, ladies and gentlemen, not the death, but the new age of publishing!

0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates